Volunteering & Internships
Volunteering at brisbane festival
Each year hundreds of volunteers come together to help deliver Brisbane Festival – Queensland's premier annual arts event. Audiences flock to Brisbane Festival every September for 22 days of circus, music, dance, theatre and city-wide celebrations, including Sunsuper Riverfire. Many aspects of the Festival would not be the same without the generous assistance of volunteers.
Volunteering at the Festival is a fantastic way for anyone with an interest in arts and events to get involved with a flexible, rewarding, short-term commitment. Whether you're a supporter of the arts, a student, a creative, or you just think it sounds like fun, the volunteer program has a lot to offer.
As a Brisbane Festival volunteer you’ll typically contribute 15 – 25 hours of time throughout September. Most volunteers help across five shifts of four to five hours each, but many put their hand up for more. Some volunteers also help before the Festival, assisting with site décor and administration behind the scenes. To assist with rostering, you’ll need to be available across at least five days in September.
There are a number of fun and exciting roles, including:
- Ushering at performance venues
- Working with local designers to decorate the Festival site
- Assisting staff with administration in the Brisbane Festival office
- Performing in costume with other volunteers and local choreographers
- Greeting patrons and telling them about the Festival
- Assisting with workshops – making art, building robots, or learning a dance
- Meeting and greeting artists and performers
Volunteers are the face of the Festival. Wearing the Brisbane Festival t-shirt and lanyard, they welcome thousands of patrons to hundreds of performances, dozens of workshops and a range of venues across the city. Volunteers also provide crucial assistance to staff behind the scenes, assisting in the office or decorating our Festival hubs.
Please note volunteers must be aged 18 – 70yrs.
Some of the benefits of volunteering include gaining experience in the events industry, contributing to the local and international arts community, making new friends, networking with arts professionals and being involved in the exciting Festival atmosphere. Some volunteers sign up to gain arts experience and enhance their cultural practice, while others just like to be involved and have fun.
Volunteers also receive discounts, special offers and complimentary tickets as a token of our gratitude.
How to apply
Round 2 of applications is now open. Applicants who apply during Round 2 will join a waiting list and if there are opportunities to join the team, for instance if someone drops out, the Volunteers team will contact you.
Our tips for submitting a great application:
- Set aside 10 – 15 minutes.
- Let us know how you’d like to be involved – this is your chance to tell us why you would be a great fit for Brisbane Festival. The Skills & Experience and Motivation fields are the best opportunity to let us know how you’d like to be involved.
- Check your calendar - ensure you know of any existing commitments in September. We need to know when you’re available for rostering.
- You’ll need to select at least five days in September when you could volunteer. You’re welcome to select more!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Note: If you experience issues with the form on a mobile device, please try using a computer. If issues persist, please email email@example.com)
If you would like to contact us about positions for Brisbane Festival 2017, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org