1. Our commitment to your privacy
Major Brisbane Festivals Pty Ltd is the organiser of the Brisbane Festival.
This policy reflects our commitment to ensuring that our collection, holding, use and disclosure of information complies with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Act), in particular, the National Privacy Principles set out in Schedule 3 of the Act.
You can download a copy of the Act here
2. Personal Information
The Act provides that “personal information” means information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
We take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, loss and unauthorized access, modification or disclosure.
3. Collection, use and disclosure of personal information
3.1 Information for customers
3.1.1 Collection of your personal information
When you purchase your tickets to a Brisbane Festival event, in person, over the phone or online from third parties such as ticketing agencies (for example, Qtix) or our hired venues, they collect your personal information, including your:
- Residential address
- Postal address
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Details of the performance you are buying tickets to
- Date of birth
- Credit card details
- The terms of your third parties’ privacy policies apply to their collection, holding, use, and disclosure of your personal information. Those policies can usually be found on their websites.
Please note: Brisbane Festival is not given your credit card details by our ticketing agencies or our hired venues.
Use of your personal information
Our ticketing agencies and hired venues use your personal information in order to deliver your ticket, process your payment arrangements, contact you in the case of cancellation or major disruption of an event and replace lost tickets.
In general, the purpose for which we collect your personal information include:
- Placing you on mailing lists either electronically or postal;
- To inform you of festival news or upcoming events;
- Submitting entries to events or competitions; and
- To assist with enquiries you may have about the festival.
- At any time, you may choose not to receive marketing material from us. On all of our direct marketing material, there is a notice providing you with the opportunity to “opt out” of receiving any further material.
If you no longer wish to receive marketing information from us, please contact our Privacy Officer (see section 6 below). Please allow 30 days for amendment of our records.
We also use your information, in anonymous form, for statistical purposes, to gain a better understanding of our audience.
3.1.2 Disclosure of your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to other organizations which provide us with marketing services, information technology services, or other services relating to our events.
We may also disclose your personal information if authorized or required to do so by law (for example, where we are required to disclose your personal information to a court in response to a subpoena).
We will not disclose your personal information for any other purpose without your consent.
3.1.3 Your right to anonymity
Where it is lawful and practicable to do so, you may undertake business with us without providing personal information. For example, you may purchase tickets to a Brisbane Festival event by cash payment, in person, over the counter, without providing personal information.
3.2 Information for business associates
3.2.1 Collection of your personal information
We may collect your personal information, including your:
- Work contact details including your email address
- Personal contact details such as your phone number
in person, over the telephone, by fax, or by email in order to undertake our daily artistic and administrative operations.
For example, we may have your contact details if you are our “point of contact” within an organization with which we do business.
3.2.2 Use of your personal information
We will only use your personal information for the business purpose for which it was collected.
3.2.3 Disclosure of your personal information
We will only disclose your personal information if necessary to achieve the business purpose for which it was collected.
3.3 Information for job applicants (including volunteers)
3.3.1 collection of your personal information
If you are applying for a job with us, you may be required to provide us with certain personal information, including your:
- Residential address
- Postal address
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Employment history
- Educational backround
in person, over the telephone, by fax or email, as part of, or in relation to, your job application.
In considering your information, we may also collect information about you from the referees you nominate in your application.
3.3.2 Use of your personal information
We will only use your personal information for the purposes of considering your application and, if successful, your employment.
3.3.3 Disclosure of personal information
In considering your application, it may be necessary for us to disclose some of your personal information to third parties in order to verify the accuracy of that information.
We will disclose only such information as is necessary in the circumstances.
3.4 Information for website users
3.4.1 Collection of your personal information
Unless you specifically tell us, we will never know who you are.
Our website is a cookie-free site.
When you visit our website, our internet service provider’s standard web log records anonymous information for statistical purposes only, including:
- The internet address of the server accessing our site
- Your top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, etc)
- The date and time of your visit to the site
- The pages you accessed and documents downloaded
- The previous page you visited prior to accessing our site
- The type of browser you are using.
- No attempt is or will be made to identify you or monitor your browsing activities, unless a law enforcement agency exercises a warrant to do so.
3.4.2 Third party sites
Sometimes our website contains links to third party websites, for your convenience and information.
We are not responsible for the privacy practices of third party websites. We recommend that you review the privacy policies for each website you visit.
3.5 information for Facebook and Twitter followers
Any information posted on Facebook and/or communicated in chat areas becomes public information. While we strive to protect and respect your privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose in Facebook, a chat room or bulletin board.
We use aggregate information from our Facebook and Twitter accounts to better understand our audience, and answer your queries.
4. Access to personal information
To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please contact our privacy officer (see section 6 below).
You will be required to complete and submit an access form.
You will also be required to provide proof of your identity. If you are applying by:
- Post, email or fax – you must attach a certified copy of your identification to the access form;
- In person – you must produce the relevant information to the privacy officer.
Documents that provide sufficient proof of your identity are:
- Your current drivers license;
- The identifying page of your current passport;
- Your birth certificate; or
- A statutory declaration by an individual who has known you for at least one year.
We will not charge you to access your personal information.
5. Correction of personal information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
However, the accuracy of that personal information depends to a large extent on the information you provide to us. To help ensure the accuracy of the personal information we hold about you, please inform the Privacy Officer (see section 6 below) if:
- You become aware of any errors in the personal information we hold about you; or
- There are any changes to your personal information, such as changes to your name, address or other contact details.
Please allow 30 days for amendment of our records.
6. Privacy Officer
For further information about the personal information we hold about you, access to or correction of that information, or for any other privacy queries or complaints, please contact our privacy officer:
Telephone: (07) 3833 5420
Fax: (07) 3833 5450
Address: PO Box 3943
South Brisbane QLD 4101