Indigenous Advisory Group
Call for Applications - Brisbane Festival Indigenous Advisory Group
Brisbane Festival is committed to working in collaboration with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to strengthen cultural and artistic relationships, particularly in relation to Indigenous protocols, community engagement, employment opportunities and programming which highlights the rich cultural heritage of our First Nations Peoples.
The Indigenous Advisory Group:
- Is an opportunity to work in conjunction with Brisbane Festival
- Represents the interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and the Indigenous contemporary arts sector of Queensland
- Draws members from prominent Indigenous cultural groups in Queensland
- Provides advice on Indigenous protocols and content
- Works to strengthen cultural and artistic relationships by working in conjunction with the Indigenous arts sector of Australia
- Provides advice on the development and implementation of the Brisbane Festival Reconciliation Action Plan
- Sound knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts (contemporary and traditional)
- Provide advice on cultural protocol
- Identify existing and emerging artists within the community
- Communicate regularly with Brisbane Festival via telephone or email
- Attend key events and performances during the Festival
- This position requires substantial commitment, including willingness to attend committee meetings up to four times per year, in person or via Skype
- Applicants must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
The IAG is comprised of key local and regional representatives of the Indigenous Contemporary Arts/Education Sector.
Members should be diverse in demographics in age, gender, experience and networks and will be for a term of two (2) years, unless otherwise indicated.
Please read the below Roles and Responsibilities of members of the Indigenous Advisory Group. This role is in a volunteer capacity. Expressions received are matched against the relevant criteria. Recommendations will then be forwarded to Brisbane Festival’s Artistic Director and the Chair of the Indigenous Advisory Group and the selected parties will be advised.
Please forward your interest (including bio/CV) to Sarah Farnsworth at email@example.com or mail to PO Box 384, Fortitude Valley 4006.
Applications close midnight Friday 24 August 2018.
Successful applicants will commence duties in September 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities
The IAG’s core duties include:
- Advise on programming
- Identify potential new audiences
- Advise on potential marketing opportunities
- Develop and implement a vision statement for the IAG in consultation with Brisbane Festival to ensure that it is aligned with the Brisbane Festival Strategic Plan
- Identify potential risks to programming events
- Identify potential partnerships which can be developed
- Advocate for Brisbane Festival and the events it produces and implements