- For more information on road and river closures, view page 3-6 of the public notice.
- Toll-free waiver from Go Between Bridge to the Clem 7 during the closure of the Story Bridge from 6.15pm – 8pm.
Road, Bridge and River Closures
The most spectacular night of the year returns in 2023 to light up Brisbane Festival opening weekend!
Mark your diary for the most spectacular night of the year as Riverfire by Australian Retirement Trust heralds the start of Brisbane Festival on Saturday 2 September.
In order to safely deliver this event there will be road, bridge and river closures.
- Remains open at all times.
- Saturday 2 September there will be alterations to public transport. Visit Brisbane Festival and Brisbane City Council websites late August for up-to-date information.
- Western footpath (Museum side) closes from 5:30pm to 9:30pm (or as directed by Police)
- Victoria Bridge Monument closes between 4pm and 9:00pm.
- Closed to pedestrians and cyclists between 4:00pm and 8:00pm.
- Two City-bound traffic lanes close on Wednesday 31 August from 11pm until 5am, Thursday 1 September from 8:00pm until 5.00am Friday 1 September and again on Sunday 3 September between 5:00am and 10:00am.
- Western footpath (City-side) closes to pedestrians on Thursday 1 September from 8pm until 10.00pm Saturday 2 September.
- Eastern footpath (Dockside side) closes to pedestrians from 6:30pm to 8:00pm on Saturday 2 September.
- No pedestrian access on the Story Bridge from 6:30pm until 8:00pm on Saturday 2 September.
- All Traffic lanes close from 6:30pm until 8:00pm on Saturday 2 September.
Captain Cook Bridge - Riverside Expressway
- The inbound lanes (North bound) of the Captain Cook Bridge may close between 7:00pm to 7:30pm on Saturday 2 September via a controlled vehicle movement, visit the Brisbane Festival website in late August for up-to-date information of this closure.
- The outbound lanes (South bound) always remain open but operates at a reduced speed with police patrols monitoring traffic flow and responding to any incidents.
Patrons are encouraged to use public transport. Remember to plan your travel ahead of time, and check Translink for closures to the Cultural Centre bus station.
Additional Citytrain services will operate on most lines.
For details including changes to the outbound platform (2) of Cultural Centre Busway, visit the Translink website.
CityCatsAdditional CityCat services will operate on the day utilising those terminals which are currently operational. Services will cease operating for the display, resuming services as soon as the all-clear is provided.
The CityHopper ferry routes are serviced by KittyCats The Howard Smith Wharf-Riverside-South Bank CityHopper service will cease operating for the display, resuming services as soon as the all-clear is provided.
Geofencing exclusion zones will be expanded for Riverfire by Australian Retirement Trust. This will restrict riding and parking zones on Saturday 2 September. Contact your chosen e-mobility provider for further information.
Please note due to the extended road closures for Riverfire by Australian Retirement Trust please check with your rideshare provider to confirm pick up and drop off locations. These should be highlighted on the mobile apps when you are booking.
- The rank in George Street (opposite Treasury Casino) will operate up until 4pm when the rank will be relocated to George Street between Elizabeth and Charlotte Streets.
- During the temporary closure of George Street between 4pm and 10pm taxis only are allowed to turn right from George into Elizabeth Street.
- All other City Ranks will operate as normal.
- The taxi ranks in Grey Street outside QPAC and approaching Glenelg Street outside the Mantra Hotel will be closed all day for pick-ups. Taxis will be permitted to deliver passengers to these Grey Street ranks only until 4:00pm. Public requiring a Taxi must proceed to the BCEC taxi rank in Glenelg Street at Merivale Street.
- From 4:00pm QPAC passengers will be set down at the BCEC rank or access the Stanley Street Tunnel from Stanley Place to set passengers in the Tunnel near the Museum carpark.
- Taxis will operate from the BCEC taxi rank in Glenelg Street at Merivale Street all day.
- Signage will be erected at the QPAC and Mantra Ranks to redirect passengers to the Glenelg Street rank.
- The ranks in Gibbon Street approaching Stanley Street, Raymond Terrace approaching Stanley Street outside Mater Children’s and Raymond Terrace opposite Hancock Street will operate as per normal.
- For further information about taxi ranks call 1300Cabs on 13 22 27 or Black and White Taxis on 13 32 22.
Further information about the safe use of drones, visit CASA’s website.